Frequently Asked Questions

Should I learn on automatic or manual?


It is really an individual choice. However, if you pass your test in an automatic car you will not be allowed to drive a manual car unsupervised. You can practice in a manual and then book a test without having to take the Theory Test again. Most people with physical disabilities are advised to drive an automatic car that has been adapted for their needs.


At what age can I start to drive.


You can apply for your provisional driving licence when you are 15 years and 9 months old. You can start learning to drive a car on public roads from the age of 17. A registered disabled person can start learning to drive from the age of 16.


How long does it take for me to get my provisional licence?


Your provisional licence should arrive within 3 weeks. If not contact the DVLA.


Can I drive before passing my Theory Test


Yes you can. Driving whilst learning the theory is encouraged. However, you will have to pass the theory test before you can book the practical test.





Can I get help if I am disabled.

The Motability Scheme allows disabled persons to use their mobility allowance to lease a car. In addition, help may be provided to finance the adaptation of the car and driving lessons.


How can I become eligible for the Motability Scheme?


You must be in receipt of one of the following

-  The Disability Living Allowance. (The Higher Rate Mobility Component)

- Personal Independence Payment. ( The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component)

- Armed Forces Independence Payment

- War pensioners’ Mobility Supplement




How many lessons will I need to take and pass the practical driving test?


Everyone is different. There is no minimum or maximum amount that you must take. However, the average amount of lessons suggested to be test ready for a beginner is at least 40 hrs.




Is there a quota of candidates the Examiners pass weekly/monthly?


Not at all. Examiners do like candidates to do well and pass contrary to some belief.


Which test centre is the best?

None is the short answer. All Test Centres have routes that are challenging and have their own idiosyncrasies. What is important is to practice on the routes at the Test Centre you have booked your test.


Can I drive on dual carriageways and motorways as a learner.


You can. However, for your practical test an examiner would not take you on a motorway. You can also do Pass Plus, which is extra tuition of a minimum of 6 hrs to enhance your driving experience. Pass Plus is not a test but an assessment done by your instructor. Some insurance company may give discount to new drivers who has completed the Pass Plus training.